These are the initial goals of practicing Tai Chi Chuan, whether it’s being learned as an advanced martial art, or simply for the various mental and physical health benefits.
There are many reasons people practice tai chi at New Orleans Shaolin:
- relief from physical pain or uncomfortable mental states
- to stay calm under pressure, either in a professional setting, or in daily life
- increasing athletic performance or martial art skills
- to improve balance and coordination
- simply as a gentle exercise for seniors or people with injuries
No matter the reason, they all boil down to wanting to increase the awareness of one’s own body.
A Tai Chi practice systematically achieves this through the following method:
- Decrease focus on the thoughts.
- Switch mental focus to the body, initially the breath, to feel real-time sensations.
- As we come into the moment, and out of our thoughts, our minds begin to become less agitated, freeing us from uncomfortable mental states like anger, depression, and anxiety.
- As our minds relax, our body begins to let go of stuck tension which relieves us of aches and pains, which eventually turn into serious injuries.
- As our bodies relax, we sink as gravity pulls us into the ground, improving our balance and connection to the earth.
From here, anything we do can be focused, coordinated, and energy-efficient, unlocking the true potential of your life!